Hawaiian Pork Roast

I found this recipe and was very curious about using a banana in the cooking process. I had a pork roast in the deep freeze and knew I had to try it. This pork turned out very tender with a mild smoky and sweet flavor. The banana gives it a very subtle taste. It's great on rolls with a little bbq sauce or in a stir fry with veggies and rice. Sophie and Chase enjoyed eating it right out of the serving dish. I kept shooing them away from the table while we were waiting for Brad to get home from work. Everyone, but Makayla (who's not a meat lover), really enjoyed this dish... she enjoyed 2 rolls instead!




HAWAIIAN PORK ROAST

1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
4 teaspoons liquid smoke
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 unpeeled ripe bananas
1/2 cup water


Place the roast on a 22-in. x 18-in. piece of heavy-duty foil; sprinkle with liquid smoke and soy sauce. Wash bananas and place at the base of each side of roast. Pull sides of foil up round meat; add water. Seal foil tightly; wrap again with another large piece of foil. Place in a shallow baking pan; refrigerate overnight, turning several times. Place foil-wrapped meat in a roasting pan. Bake at 400° for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 325°; continue baking for 3-1/2 hours. Drain; discard bananas and liquid. Shred meat with a fork.

Comments

Tina Butler said…
This recipe is very similar to kaulua pork that i made. Your recipe looks so much better with the soy sauce and banana added. I am going to try yours next time.
Coleens Recipes said…
You said it tasted mildly smokey...did you use the full amount of smoke called for in the recipe?
Heidi said…
Yes Coleen, I used the full amount of the liquid smoke. I even sprinkled the meat with a little after I had shredded it because I didn't feel it had very much smokey flavor. I'm guessing maybe the banana soaked up a lot of the flavoring. I also added a little sea salt to the shredded meat.