Pizza Rice

As I've said before, my daughter Makayla's extremely picky. She will only eat certain meats and if she doesn't like the way it looks she won't eat it. I don't know what went wrong. When she was little she was the best eater and wasn't picky at all. When she hit about 4 it all went downhill. I've discussed it several times with the doctor, who assures me that since she's eating all the food groups not to worry. This rice's something she will actually eat (along with any form of junk food)... and usually 2 helping of it too! It isn't the prettiest and don't laugh at the recipe because I never measure. It's a great way to use up leftover rice and pizza sauce. I hope you enjoy it as much as she does :)

PIZZA RICE
1 - 2 cups cooked rice (leftover rice works great)
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green bell pepper
8 oz. pizza sauce (I make my own by mixing 1 can of tomato sauce with 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp garlic salt and letting is set an hour before using)

Saute onion and green pepper in a little oil until it's tender. Add pizza sauce and let simmer. Add rice and cook until heated through.

Comments

I like this - sort of like Spanish rice?
Donna-FFW said…
This sounds tasty. And your picture is gorgeous. My kids would love anything with the word pizza in it!
~Crystal~ said…
Sounds yummy!

Check out my blog. I tagged you in my newest post. :)
theUngourmet said…
This recipe looks so easy to make and I think even my son would love it! Thanks for the idea of the Pizza Sauce!

I wanted to let you know that Foster Farms and Honeysuckle White both make flavored sausages. I don't know if they carry these brands over you way or not.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
teresa said…
GREAT idea, as I'm sure I've mentioned, my kids LOVE rice, so this would definitely be a winner at our house!
This sounds like easy spanish rice, so it should be real tasty! When my kids were little, my 2 boys were real picky and my daughter ate most things. It took awhile for my boys to come around and to try new foods.
Have a good day!
Rachel said…
My son loves rice and this sounds like a good way to sneak in some veggies!
Anonymous said…
Ohmigosh, I can so relate to the picky eating child. My DD7 drives me insane with her pickiness! I'll have to try your clever pizza rice on her. Sounds like it will work.
Jenn said…
Pizza is the keyword. =) Looks good!!
Kathy said…
Heidi, we've always had a 1-bite rule or a "polite bite" as we like to call it. It really does work!!! They are all eating things now that I never thought they would!!! Hang in there!!!
Lara said…
My kids love rice anyway, but if I fed them pizza rice I know they'd go gaga!
Kristen said…
This is such a creative way to get your kids some nutrients - I think I'll have to steal it!
I always end up with half empty jars and leftover ingredients-- such a great way to use it up. This looks great-- I bet it would be a great way to get my little boy to try rice. So far, I haven't had much luck!
Reeni said…
I am the same way about meat! But I would eat this rice without any hesitation. It looks delicious!
Tina Butler said…
My kids would love this. Sorry I havent been visiting to much. It has been a crazy week of things.