Apple Dumplings

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... my Granny Ruby's an amazing cook. She raised 11 kids on a little of nothing and learned to make anything taste like it's from a 5 star restaurant. She often had to resort to using parts of the animal most people would throw away. Her kids happily ate scrambled eggs and brains (yes, you heard me right!) and cooked cows tongue. They ate it happily because they didn't know what they were eating, they just knew it tasted good :) Guess what? Today's your lucky day. I'm sharing with you the recipe for my grandma's apple dumplings. These apple dumplings are famous in our family. This is the first time I have shared this yummy recipe with anyone. I only know a few family members with it in their possession. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

APPLE DUMPLINGS
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/4 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
1/4 cup butter
1-2 apples, peeled, cored and cut int0 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 TBSP Butter, divided
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter flavored crisco shortening

Mix apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. Make a syrup by mixing 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, heaping 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn off after it comes to a boil. The syrup will be very thin. It will thicken while baking. While syrup is cooking sift flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until pea sized crumbs form. Add milk and stir to form dough. Divide dough into 6 balls. Using a floured surface, press balls out into about a 5 inch circle. Place 1/2 TBSP butter in center of dough. Top with a heaping tablespoon of apple, sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bring all edges of dough to center, completely covering apple filling. Press to seal. Place seam side down on a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough to make 6 dumplings. Pour syrup over dumplings. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Open oven and spoon syrup over dumplings. Continue cooking 15 more minutes. Enjoy. We like to eat these warm with vanilla ice cream.

Comments

Oh yum! Can't wait to try these. I love recipes that have been in the family a long time - you always know that they are good!
SnoWhite said…
yummy - those dumplings look amazing!!
Lara said…
I love old hand me down recipes, especially ones that do not call for cow brains. :)
theUngourmet said…
Yay Heidi! I've been waiting for this. Can't wait to try it. I know my family will gobble this up!
Katy ~ said…
It has been since I was at home that I last yad an apple dumpling, and I remember how much I LOVED them. This is a much welcomed recipe! Tried and true and loved family recipes are just the very very best. Thank you so much for sharing one of yours! I cannot wait to try this.
Denise said…
Thank you for sharing such a special recipe. I am bookmarking this to try ASAP
Willoughby said…
Family recipes are the best! This one sounds delicious!
monica said…
Wow that dumpling looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. I will have to try it! Stopping by from SITS saying Hi!
teresa said…
Family recipes are the best! They bring back so many memories. This one looks FANTASTIC!
MaRiN said…
Mmmmm, looks warm and delicious! I could eat this right now.
Heather S-G said…
These sound awesome! Believe it or not, I've been craving apple dumplings lately. For no good reason. NOW I have a good reason!
Unknown said…
My husband would be all over this..popping in from SITS
These look so delcious Heidi- nothing tastes or smells better than apples and cinnamon cooking!Thanks for sharing a family treasure!
I can remember even as a teenager, checking out what was cooking on mom's stove, and it was cow tongue!
Alexis AKA MOM said…
OMGosh delish! Isn't it amazing what our grandparents had to do! But they made it work and delish at the same time. Love it, thanks for sharing so much of the fam ;). Muah
jjnhubbs said…
Oh my...I showed these to Justin and he probably would have made me make them right then - except that we were out of apples! His parents are coming up next weekend and I'm sure they'll love these!!