Zucchini Meat Sauce with Pasta

Here's one of those completely un-photogenic dishes! I had the hardest time taking a picture of this ugly stuff. It may be ugly, but it sure was tasty. I found the recipe in a ground beef recipe booklet I bought about a year ago. I'm one of those compulsive checkout line buyers. I see all the recipe booklets and go crazy. Do they have meeting for that? I have found lots of great recipes in those checkout line booklets though. I was flipping through the ground beef book last week and thought this recipe sounded great. We have small zucchini growing in the garden and I couldn't wait to try out a dish using it. Everyone really enjoyed this one. It was yummy and only $1.21 per serving.

ZUCCHINI MEAT SAUCE WITH PASTA
1/2 pound pasta of choice
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can garlic and herb spaghetti sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small zucchini

Brown and drain beef and onion. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes (undrained). Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Meanwhile cook pasta. Slice zucchini. Add to beef mixture and cook until desired tenderness. I like mine with a little bite to them. Serve sauce over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Comments

theUngourmet said…
I don't think it's ugly at all. It looks very tasty, in fact! This gives me another recipe idea for the zucchini growing in my garden. :0)
I think it looks great, but I do know exactly what you mean about photographing food. Sometimes it's really hard to capture the image that conveys the message of the food.

I love making dishes like this - but I have to chop those zucchini up real tiny so The Hubs won't "see" them LOL...
Denise said…
I must confess, I am a checkout line shopper myself. Magazines, gum, whatever looks good. I think it looks just fine and delicious.
Katy ~ said…
Those little cookbooks tend to jump into my cart or onto the conveyor belt when I'm not looking LOL!

I hear you about the difficulty of photographing some foods. I can take several dozen pictures and still be very unhappy. The lighting in my kitchen is poor and some foods just don't seem to be photogenic (so I say to myself!).

I think your zucchini meat sounds looks and sounds delicious. Good way to sneak in a little veggie. I would have to dice it up fine too!!
teresa said…
I think spaghetti and zucchini are such a good combination!
roadrunner201 said…
Oh, I think it looks fabulous!
Alexis AKA MOM said…
Ohhh Love it and perfect with the ones growing in my yard!

You have to put up a feed for email :). I love getting your recipes and hate missing them :).

Have a wonderful weekend! Muah, Lex
Looks good to me! I always put spinach in my tomato sauce, but never think about zucchini! Great idea!
MzUnicaHija19 said…
This looks good, I make lasagna with 'em also.

A fellow SITSta dropping by to show some love from www.mrszeus.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
What a great way of sneaking some veg into a beautiful sauce!. Love the recipe and as a check out food magazine addict as well, if you do find a meeting group, let me know lol
Rachel said…
Those little cookbooks are mighty addicting :) I honestly don't think your picture looks bad at all...I was wanting to try the recipe, before I even read what was in it, based on the picture alone! I'm a sucker for ANYTHING pasta-related!
Willoughby said…
I love practically anything with zucchini in it, I'd love to try this!