Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak

If you're looking for a quick, easy fix-it-and-forget-it-meal, you're in the right place. Drag out the slow cooker and get ready for a yummy one. This tender pepper steak's good the first day, but the leftovers are GREAT! The flavor of the green pepper soaks down in the meat (can you see me drooling?) and is marvelous. It's wonderful served with egg noodles, rice or potatoes. Enjoy :)

SLOW-COOKED PEPPER STEAK
1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef top round steak
2 TBSP canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
4 tomatoes, cut into eighths or 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
1 large green peppers, cut into strips
1/2 cup cold water
1 TBSP cornstarch

Cut beef into 3-in. x 1-in. strips brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the next seven ingredients; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green peppers; cook on low for 1 hour longer. Combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a paste; stir into liquid in slow cooker and cook on high until thickened. Serve over noodles or rice.

Comments

Melody said…
I know this recipe will be a total winner at my house. I'll love it for the "forget it" aspect and my husband will love these flavors. Thanks!
Tiffanee said…
Love it! I have been craving rice dishes lately. Best of all I love the fix it and forget it aspect. Thanks!!
Coleens Recipes said…
I love recipes like this...you can't beat it. Thanks for the blueberry idea. I'm thrilled with all of the suggestions.
Cassie said…
When this post popped up in my Reader, I actually said "Oh yum" out loud. I love pepper steak and it's so clever to
make it in the crock pot. I will definitely be trying this one!
Lara said…
I've never tried steak in the slow cooker before, but I bet it's amazing! My husband loves it when I cook red meat for him, which definitely isn't often.
Alison said…
Heidi, I have an award for you!

http://justlikegrandmascooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-101-blog-award.html
teresa said…
my mom used to make a dish like this and i loved it. so packed with flavor!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I'm going to try this Heidi. Anytime I try making a steak other than filet it comes out tough. :( I don't particularly like beef but my family enjoys it. So, it's on the menu once a week.

Happy Friday!
~ingrid
Katy ~ said…
Gosh, I love pepper steak, it's so terrific in a sub sandwich, too. YUM YUM. Love that it's made in a slow cooker. A keeper.
Anonymous said…
How many does this serve?