Thursday, March 11, 2010

Country Ham and Potatoes

What can you buy for less than $4.00? I can't think of very many things! Would you believe I fed my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) a yummy meal, with leftovers, for under $4.00... and it was done in under 30 minutes? I did. I did. I REALLY did. I'm not making it up :) Doesn't it look yummy? I bought a big, fat 2 1/2 lb. ham slice for $2.50 and 3 huge baking potatoes for $1.00 and made a simple, yet delicious meal. Sometimes those are the best kind! It was nothing fancy, but very much enjoyed. I hope you keep this recipe found at the Taste of Home website in mind the next time you need a quick inexpensive meal. Enjoy :)

COUNTRY HAM AND POTATOES
2 to 3 TBSP butter
2 pounds fully cooked sliced ham (about 1/2 inch thick)
1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, quartered and cooked
Snipped fresh parsley

In a large heavy skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown ham on both sides. Move ham to one side of the skillet; brown potatoes in the drippings. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley.

15 comments:

getting it together said...

It looks very delicious, thanks for sharing.

Willoughby said...

Oh, what a good idea! I make something very similar, but it's layered in a casserole dish and baked. I'll have to pick up some ham and try it this way.

Chris said...

Yeah, but when you throw your labor into the cost, it's $104 ;)

I love quick and easy. That's tonight, grilled burgers and some bacon wrapped tater tots.

Sook said...

Ooh cheap but delicious!! That's awesome!

Ink Obsession Designs said...

That looks so good!

Anonymous said...

I love ham, but I'm the only one in the family that really does. Looks yummy. I do keep 1 always in the freezer for those busy nights. The family unit likes it best with bbq and on the grill:)

Pam said...

Simple and delicous - I love recipes like this.

Rhonda said...

Where on earth did you find ham for $2.50?? Ham here is $10!! Sigh.... Still sounds great though!

Heidi said...

Wow Rhonda... $10!!! I bought mine at Wal-mart with the ham steaks. I can't remember what brand it was (it wasn't real salty and didn't have a bone), but it wasn't on sale. Maybe I just lucked out!

Delectable Dining said...

Mmm... this does sound good!

~~louise~~ said...

Chunky good, I'm sure!!! Thanks for sharing...

Katy ~ said...

My kind of meal! Big YUMS and happy sounds from me!

teresa said...

a double in on this meal, fabulous!

Ingrid said...

Very nice! There are five us, too including 13 yr twin boys. I think this would feed us but probably no leftovers. :)
~ingrid

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh bring ti on! You know Ham is still banned by Rick at the house ... lol