Teriyaki Pork Roast

I got to spend the afternoon with a newspaper reporter and photographer. I wish I could say my blog was so insanely popular I had a newspaper story being published, but I can't. The reporter and the photographer weren't for me, they were for my daughter. Every Monday the local paper prints a story about a kid who has done something outstanding or does something interesting. Makayla's teacher sent her in for her unique hobby of antique doll collecting. The reporter was excited because she's never wrote a piece about a child with that hobby. Makayla was really nervous, but did wonderful. The reporter thought it was a great hobby and I think she was very surprised at how knowledgeable Makayla is one the subject. I can't wait until Monday to see my daughter and her story on the front page of the newspaper! I'm very proud. I'm also proud of myself for thinking ahead and having dinner in the crock pot. The delicious aroma of the teriyaki pork roast made me hungry all afternoon. I found the recipe several years ago in Simple & Delicious. If I recall it was a first place winner in one of their contests. It's hard to believe so few ingredients can make such a tasty dish. It's great served with mashed potatoes or rice. Enjoy :)

TERIYAKI PORK ROAST
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TBSP cornstarch
3 TBSP cold water

Cut roast in half; rub with brown sugar. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour apple juice and soy sauce over roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, strain cooking juices and return to slow cooker. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Slice pork; serve with gravy.

Here's a photo I snapped of Makayla while we were waiting on the newpaper crew. I hope she didn't make that face for the photographer!

Comments

Rhonda said…
Oh wow!!That looks fabulous!!
Sook said…
Oh teriyaki is great with just about anything. Looks great!
Tiffanee said…
Congrats to your daughter!! That is exciting. Your roast looks delicious. Yes you are that famous that they should be doing a story on you also!!
~~louise~~ said…
How exciting for your daughter, Heidi. Is that a Patty Play doll I see there and Shirley Temple too!!! My first avatar was Shirley Temple:) I'm sure your daughter did GREAT!!!

As for that Teriyaki Pork Roast, good lookin and good thinking ahead!!!

Thank you so much for sharing...

BTW, if you get a free moment, we're playing an April Fool's Day game at my blog til Sunday. It's anybody's guess who will win!!!
teresa said…
fun way of doing a pork roast, it looks awesome!
Chris said…
I like the recipe. I wonder how it would work on the grill. If I do it indirect heat, maybe the sugars in the glaze wouldn't burn.

Good for Makala! Funny pose:)
Alexis AKA MOM said…
LOOKs fab my dear :)

I'm loving that picture, she's too cute!
Anonymous said…
That's awesome congrats to your daughter!
~ingrid