Pavlova

Happy Mother's Day!!! My little kiddies were really sweet and remembered me :) I've had another busy weekend and the last 2 weeks of school are going to be crazy!!! This lunch lady's ready for summer. Yesterday afternoon I had a little extra time and was excited to try my hand at making Pavlova. I love meringue cookies and by looking at the recipe it sounded like a big meringue cookie topped with cool whip and fruit. I was exactly right! It turned out beautiful, light and refreshing. Heck, you can eat the whole thing without getting full... and I know this first hand. I couldn't wait to try it out so I cut myself a slice.
It was a pretty large slice... but I was trying to cut around the fruit so I could get a good picture (you believe that right?). It was love at first bite. I thought... hmmm, I could eat a little more, so I cut myself another slice. It tasted wonderful and very light, airy, and apparently not filling at all. I got a little more for good measure and looked at the cake. I had eaten at least half of it. I was embarrassed with myself. Everyone would think I was a pig if they saw I ate half of the thing. Can you guess what I did. I ate the rest of it. The kids were playing at my parents and my husband was working on a firetruck so they never knew I made it... it's our little secret. You won't tell will you??? Enjoy... I think you could say I did :)

PAVLOVA
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
fresh fruit

Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat the egg whites, vanilla and vinegar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spoon meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, shape into a 9-in. circle. Bake at 225° for 45-55 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off and do not open door. Let meringue dry in oven for 1 hour. Just before serving, top meringue with whipped topping and fruit. Refrigerate leftovers.

Comments

Kelly Polizzi said…
oh that is so me. I have done that before with banana bread my husband didn't know I made on more than one occasion. Looks great, don't blame you.
SnoWhite said…
This is delicious -- it's a staple dessert in Australia! We had an exchange student make it for us -- yummy!
Krista said…
How wonderful! This looks perfectly delicious and light and airy and....well, like I said, perfect! Happy Mother's Day!
Julie said…
Thanks, Heidi! My sister-in-law got me onto your blog and I love it! I first had Pavlova as a little girl, when my parents' Australian friends introduced it to us, and I fell in love with it immediately also. I have been trying to locate a Pavolva recipe, so THANK YOU!
Katy ~ said…
You DO make me smile. I've never had pavlova but it has long tempted me, and now I see it here and I am even more tempted.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
LOL, I won't tell! It MUST have been good! I've been wanting to try making a pavlova, too. Guess I need to other wise I'm missing out.

Happy belated Mother's Day ....glad to hear it was a yummy (hee-hee) one!
~ingrid

Btw, sorry I've been MIA lately!
teresa said…
oooh, i've never had anything like this, fun dessert!
Magda^_^ said…
Hey there! I'm Magda a 16-year-old girl from Greece.I've just discovered your blog and must say you are brilliant!! I love everything here! From now on i'm a regular follower of yours!
p.s.I adore cooking too!:)
kisses
xxx
Unknown said…
I've never tried this before, but now I can't wait to! Adding this to my dessert menu next week. :)
jjnhubbs said…
I would have done the same thing, Heidi!! Too funny! I've never made pavlova, but it looks fabulous!