Yummiest Chocolate Sheet Cake EVER!


Betcha thought I desserted my blog (get it... dessert.  OK.  So I'm totally unfunny!).  It's been so long since I posted a recipe.  I have several good excuses though :)
Excuse #1
 I had  a house guest for 2 weeks I never thought I would get to meet in person.  My friend Christine came all the way from Canada.  We became pen pals while I was in high school and even though we had written many letters, emailed each other and spent many hours on the phone, we had never met face to face.  We had a fun two weeks and her being single with no children, I think my kids broke her in!  She's a picky meat-and-potatoes kind of girl, so I didn't want to break out the new recipes while she was visiting.
 Excuse #2
School started yesterday and I was totally busy/stressed out about getting everything ready in both schools kitchens for the new school year.
OK, so you heard the excuses.  Please forgive me :)  I will sweeten you up with this delicious chocolate sheet cake.  It's super-duper yum-i-licious.  It's moist.  It's sweet.  It's chocolaty.  It makes me want to eat a big piece... or two.  Enjoy :)

CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE
Cake
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
2 sticks Butter
1 cup Boiling Water
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 whole Beaten Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Frosting
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans (opt.)
1-3/4 stick Butter
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
6 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar

For best results use an 18x13 sheet cake pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.  Set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.  Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool. In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.

*Make sure to pour the warm icing over a warm cake*

Comments

Anonymous said…
I haven't had Chocolate Sheet Cake since my mom passed over 5 years ago. I've misplaced my copy the recipe binder she made for each of us before she passed. :(

Thanks for posting. If memory serves me, yours is exactly like hers minus the nuts. Chocolate Sheet Cake is on the menu for next week! Good memories. :)
Aarthi said…
That looks so mouthwatering....Yummy yummy...Love the rich chocolate frosting over this
Coleens Recipes said…
That photo is awesome!!! I hope you know you are responsible for my scales yelling at me (again). This looks delicious!!!
Disneypal said…
This looks sooooo good !
Pam said…
This sounds exactly like the recipe my mom would make years ago. I haven't had that recipe for years,so I'm glad you posted this!