Saturday, March 10, 2012
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1 cup brewed hot coffee
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
3 cups gluten-free All-Pupose flour blend
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2½ cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 ounces chopped chocolate (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and dust with gluten-free flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee and cocoa powder. Add hot water and whisk until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat margarine and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower mixer speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and cream well, scraping down the bowl.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet batter, mixing until combined. Add half the cocoa mixture, mixing until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture and mix on medium speed until smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Stir in chopped chocolate.
6. Spoon batter equally into lined muffin tins. Place in preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until done. The cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake in pans for 20 minutes.
Makes 24 cupcakes