Healthy Breakfast Casserole

Summer vacation is here!!!!  The pool's filling and I'm already hearing a chorus of "I'M BORED".  I'm also having to deal with my least favorite thing about summer.... coming up with breakfast and lunch ideas that aren't super expensive while keeping everyone happy.  I should be a pro at this.  I mean, really, I'm a Food Service Director over our local school district. This is my job!  So, what's a frustrated mom to do?  I scoured the Internet and found a delicious, healthy and quick breakfast recipe that makes a lot and freezes/reheats well.  Mission accomplished!  Everyone can feel good about eating this one.  Enjoy :)

HEALTHY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
2 cups liquid egg whites
1 pkg. turkey sausage (1 lb.)
1 pkg. shredded hash browns (mine was in the refrigerated section and equals 3 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced broccoli (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large skillet crumble and brown sausage.  Add in hash browns and onions (broccoli if using) and cook until onions are softened and potatoes are starting to brown.  Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray (you could also make these in muffin cups). Pour egg whites into pan.  Stir cooked sausage, hash brown and onion mixture into the eggs.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set and it's starting to brown along the edges.  Cut into squares and serve.  If you want to freeze/refrigerate this for later use- let cool and place individual servings in zip loc bags or containers.

Comments