Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting

A few weeks ago I scoured the net for an awesome recipe to make for my friend Tasha's birthday.  It needed to be fancy and deliciously because she's cool like that!  After putting up with my crazy ideas for over 30 years, she deserves something super yummy.  Seriously!  After watching way to many episodes of Cupcake Wars I decided to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  I had never eaten it, but it sure sounded fancy!  I must admit, this recipe takes a little time to make.  If I didn't love her so much I may have said heck with it and used the canned stuff, but I hung in there and was very happy with the result!  This buttercream's very rich and creamy and completely delicious. It is much less sweet than a traditional buttercream.  I'm posting the original recipe I found at Gretchen's Bakery, but I halved it with success. Enjoy!!!

Please read directions before starting.  It has many steps and I want yours to turn out as delish as mine did!

SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
6 large egg whites
1 cup + 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup shortening- room temp
2 cups unsalted butter- room temp
1 TBSP vanilla

In a large metal bowl over a double boiler, whisk sugar and egg whites.  Stir constantly until it reaches 115 degrees F and the sugar crystals have dissolved (it will not feel grainy to the touch)

Pour mixture into the metal bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment.  Whip on High until it is thick, glossy and white.  The peaks should be very firm.

While mixture is whipping to stiff peaks, sift powdered sugar.  After it reaches stiff peaks add the sifted powdered sugar all at once with your mixer on the lowest speed (to avoid a mess!).  Once incorporated you can turn the mixer back to med-high speed.

Add your room temperature butter and shortening quickly in 2-3 additions.

Add vanilla.

Stop mixer and take of the whip attachment replacing it with your paddle attachment. (Lick whip attachment!)

Using paddle attachment, mix until smooth.  Then it's done!  You can use it under fondant, you can pipe it on cupcakes, or spread it on a cake.  Be sure to lick to paddle!  YUM!!!


Comments