Cilantro Lime Chicken in the Crock Pot

Are you ready for a delicious Crock Pot meal that keeps your house cool and smells AMAZING??? You've hit the moist and flavorful chicken jackpot today!  This recipe (from a cookbook my super cool friend gave me for Christmas!) also uses a "secret" ingredient a lot of people grow in their gardens (and if you don't, you can pick up a frozen bag super cheap, like $2 cheap, at the grocery store!).  Okra!  Now, now.  Don't turn up your noses.  While I grew up eating pickled okra and fried okra, I know a lot of you have either #1, not tried it because it looks yucky or #2, tried it but thinks it's slimy.  Well, I will assure you, this isn't yucky or slimy!  No one will ever know this has healthy okra in it if you don't tell them.  No one at my dinner table knows.  Trust me on this one! This chicken is delish served with rice or in a tortilla shell.  Enjoy :)
CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN
3-5 pounds of chicken (I used a large package of thighs)
1 bunch of fresh cilantro- leaves removed and washed
1 onion, diced
2 colored bell peppers (I used red and yellow), sliced
1 cup sliced okra (frozen works awesome!)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Place chicken in a crock pot.  Chop 1/2 of the cilantro leaves and sprinkle on chicken along with diced onion and sliced peppers.

Make sauce:  Blend remaining 1/2 bunch of cilantro leaves with okra, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic until well blended.  I used a magic bullet.  Pour sauce over chicken and veggies in the crock pot.  Cook on high 6-8 hours.  I removed the meat and took off the skin and bones and put it back in the juice before serving.  If you cook breasts, you can just shred them in the juices.


Comments