Cornflake Meatloaf

The first day of school was a success. We had no crying. The girls both enjoyed their day, but Makayla was completely pooped out... I was too. After the kids are out of the building I have about an hour and fifteen minutes to get my halls and classrooms swept out, rugs vacuumed, trash taken out and bathrooms cleaned. I thought that sounded like plenty of time, but I hauled butt and barely got it done! I hope I'm quicker today or Tina will trade me in (for a tall, good looking, male janitor of course). Good thing I had made my meatloaf the night before and just had to pop it in the oven. I made up the recipe and was crossing my fingers it didn't taste like dog food. Luckily, it didn't!

Here are the girls waiting for the bus.
CORNFLAKE MEATLOAF
2 lb. ground beef
2 eggs
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix, divided
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup ketchup, divided
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 cups cornflakes crushed finely
Mix ground beef, eggs, 1/2 the onion soup package, garlic powder, 1/3 cup ketchup, pepper, and crushed cornflakes. Place onto a greased baking dish and form into a loaf. Mix remaining ketchup, onion soup mix, and brown sugar and pour over loaf. Bake covered with foil at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-25 minutes (or until fully cooked).

Comments

Melody said…
Cool concept using cornflakes! Glad your family had a great first day of school. Your girls are so pretty in pink!
Denise said…
The girls are so cute. i hope my daughters first bus day goes as well, I am so nervous. Love the cornflakes.
Anonymous said…
The girls are adorable! Love the first day of school - glad there were no tears.

I remember when my daughter went to jr. kindergarten, she cried every morning. About two weeks in, the teacher sent me a note that said "Hannah now stops crying by the time she hangs up her coat!"

Interesting to add brown sugar to the mix! I tried to put vegetables in a meatloaf I made for my husband - um, it didn't fly very well!

I also wrap my meatloaf in bacon and cook it on top of a cookie sheet so the fat drips to the pan below and it gets a nice crisp outer layer all the way around.

Sorry, I type fast! :D
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Soooooooo, not a fan of meatloaf but the kiddos are!

Your girls are too cute!
~ingrid
Carrie said…
Cornflake Meatloaf!? I've never heard of that one. We LOVE cornflake chicken, so why not!
Carrie said…
PS. I love the first day of school picture! Soooo cute!
ChristineM said…
Great idea using the corn flakes! My husband always has me buy them, but never eats them - we use them for fish or chicken, but I;m going to try this next time!

(P.S. I forgot I had my blog up in the background, so I'm listeneing to "dueling Etta Jameses" right now! ;)
Coleens Recipes said…
I love almost any kind of meatloaf. Your kids are precious.
teresa said…
what cuties! i'm glad it went so well. the meatloaf sounds wonderful!
Marisa said…
Isn't it a relief when the first day of school goes down without anything crazy happening? This recipe sounds great--I'm so impressed when people can create their own recipes. Good job!
Julie said…
Glad the first day went well!
That'd be one lucky dog that got to eat that meatloaf!
Katy ~ said…
Meatloaf is a real fav in this house.

Love those first day of school pix. They are so much fun to look back on. Your girls are precious!
Hmmmm looks yummy. Your girls are adorable and I'm glad that school went well!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest to you!
Melissa B. said…
Thanks for the recipe. I also love your Superior Snap. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!
Reviewer11 said…
HAPPY SATURDAY SITSTAH! :)

OOh mama!! That meatloaf looks so delicious! :P Thanks for sharing the receipe with us. :D
Mrs. M said…
I love meatloaf!! Glad the first day went well!! ;-)
theUngourmet said…
I've never tried my meatloaf with cornflakes! It looks great! Terrific idea!
Spryte said…
OMG!! Your girls are SO cute!!!!

And I'm glad your meatloaf didn't taste like dog food. It looks really good!