Beef Stew


It was cold and I thought stew sounded really good. I have actually never made beef stew because Brad said he didn't like it, but my mom made it a lot when I still lived at home. She always used one of those stew seasoning packets and I like this version much better. It was 82 cents per serving.... and I think I at least ate 4 servings! Sophie and Chase chowed down on it and Brad said it was good. I would call it a winner. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow. I did a boo-boo while making it though. I didn't pay attention and forgot to use the cornstarch at the end to thicken it. It turned out thick enough and no one even noticed. I think it thickened on it's own because I took the lid off for the last 25 minutes and some of the broth evaporated.

BEEF STEW
2 lb. meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
6 cups water
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup medium pearl barrley
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, undrained
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf (optional)
3 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water


Place soup bones and water in a soup kettle or dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Set beef bones aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and return meat to broth. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, barley, tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaf if desired. Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until veggies and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. 10 servings.






Comments