Saucy Italian Roast

I was skeptical about making this dish. I didn't quite know what roast would be like in a spaghetti sauce. Well... boy am I glad I had everything on hand for this recipe. It was great!Makayla (a.k.a huge picky eater) ate THREE helpings of this. Unless it's a dessert recipe it's not often I can say everyone ate and enjoyed a dish. Usually I can say everyone but Makayla enjoyed it! Although it's not a particularly attractive dish, it's yummy and comes in at only about $1.08 per serving. I'm giving it a big thumbs up :)

SAUCY ITALIAN ROAST
1 boneless beef rump roast
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium onion, diced
1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
1 TBSP corn starch mixed with 2 TBSP cold water
1/2 tsp thyme
1 generous squeeze ketchup
Hot cooked pasta

Cut the roast in half. Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion. Combine the spaghetti sauce and broth; pour over meat and onion. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast from slow cooker and cover to keep warm. Add cornstarch/water mixture, ketchup and thyme to slow cooker and stir. Cover and let cook until thickened (about 5 minutes). Slice roast; serve over pasta with thickened pan juices.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can I come over?? ;D
Two of my fav o'rite things roast and spaghetti!
Oink~Oink!!
Sandy's Kitchen said…
That seems like a wonderful dish. You can't go wrong with spaghetti sauce. I love spaghetti!
Donna-FFW said…
Sounds like a fantastic dish. It looks so delicious, heidi!!