Truck-Stop Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup


Tonight was breakfast night at our house. I made these pancakes and syrup along with bacon and eggs. Everyone really enjoyed them. I majorly scaled down the recipe and still had a ton left over that will stay good in the fridge for a few days. The syrup was really easy and a nice change from the regular bottle stuff. I would recommend you make the syrup several hours in advance so it has time to thicken a little in the fridge. If you've never made your own syrup I think this one's a great one to try. I hope you enjoy breakfast night as much as we do!

TRUCK-STOP BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
5 cups buttermilk
5 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
5 teaspoons baking soda
5 tablespoons sugar


In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar; stir into the wet ingredients just until blended. Adjust the thickness of the batter to your liking by adding more flour or buttermilk if necessary.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side. Continue with remaining batter.

BUTTERMILK SYRUP
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

Comments

Donna-FFW said…
Heidi- These look absolutely gorgeous! And I love the name! The syrup sounds outstanding!
Tina Butler said…
Heidi we love breakfast night. I try to do it at least twice a month. My kids look so forward to it. i just made Ihops french toast, I havent posted it yet. I can wait to try this recipe and the syrup. I made pumpkin patch pancakes in the fall with homemade apple cider syrup it was to die for.