Batter Rolls

I, my friends, have a problem. I have a thing for cookbooks. Is it a good thing? Possibly. Is it an expensive thing? Sometimes. Is it a thing I for see myself quiting? Not likely. Am I a big cookbook nerd? Definitely! Every time I open a good cookbook it feels like my birthday. I've spent many hours hovering over cookbooks. It's paid off every time I've cooked a recipe my family enjoyed. If it wasn't for my cookbook nerdiness I wouldn't have found this yummy recipe. I bought Taste of Homes Holiday and Celebrations Cookbook for myself this year for Christmas and couldn't wait to try these batter rolls. They sounded so simple and very different from my regular roll recipe. While you couldn't use this dough to make cinnamon rolls, it does work great when you don't need a boat load of rolls. Making a dozen rolls is perfect for my family because we tend to not eat them after the first day and they go to waste... and I HATE wasting food! Believe me, you won't want to waste any of these. Enjoy :)

Here's what was cooking 1 year ago:

Don't let the bad lighting in the picture sway your opinion of this dish. There are few pork dishes that rate as high on our list as this tender Sunday Pork Roast. Tomato soup makes the sauce rich and delicious. One bite and you will know it's a keeper!

BATTER ROLLS
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBSP sugar
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 TBSP butter
1 egg
Melted butter

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Add egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
Stir dough down. Fill greased muffin cup half full. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 4 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush tops with melted butter.

I had to share this funny picture of Chase! As you can see, he loves his fire hat... so much he didn't want to take it off to put on his pj's! I hope he's not practicing for a future profession of nude modeling!

Comments

These look yummy :) Definitely will have to try these.
Kim said…
Love the picture of your firefighter! The rolls look easy and delicious. I can see them getting gobbled up in record time.
Carrie said…
I too an a cookbook nerd. Don't give me romance novels just a really good cookbook. :) I often think that maybe I should clear out some of them but it is so very hard to let any of them go.
Your rolls look great!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
They're so funny about things like that. :)

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I need to start working on bread recipes and leave the cinnamon rolls alone for a bit. :)
~ingrid
Oh my, that last comment cracked me up!!! Well, those rolls sure do look num yummy.

I'm a cookbook nerd too I guess then, because I can't even tell you how many I have now - lets just say several hundred. I rarely cook a recipe straight from a cookbook, but I certainly use them to inspire me for developing my own recipes.
Sook said…
The last picture made me laugh. How cute! The rolls look perfect. I must try the recipe.
Coleens Recipes said…
I have a teenage grandson named Chase. Your little guy looks none too happy...haha. The rolls are PERFECT.
teresa said…
i have the same "thing!" i could read a cookbook like a novel. the rolls look fantastic!
Krista said…
Maybe he'll be in the firemen's calendar. lol.

The rolls look yummy and I love the idea of no kneading or shaping. Very cool!
Willoughby said…
I'm crazy about cookbooks, too. The funny thing about it is that I usually go straight to the computer when I'm looking for a recipe. I don't know why I don't turn to my cookbooks more often.

The rolls look super easy to make. I'll have to give them a try, my husband loves dinner rolls.

Chase is too cute!
Katie said…
Wow! You sound just like me. I read and re-read my cookbooks all the time...I always find new recipes I want to try. I don't think I will ever have enough cookbooks, and I could never part with any of them. I just love them all!

I will have to try the recipe. I love taste of home, too!
Tina Butler said…
I always say I would rather have a good cookbook then a piece of jewelry isnt that crazy but true. Nice buns Heidi. Goodness that sounds so bad but they do look pretty. Cant wait to try these bread is my weakness.
Stacy said…
These rolls look so delicious! I can't wait to try them! By the way, I am also addicted to cookbooks. I have way too many! Thanks for the recipe! By the way, that last picture is so funny! He'll probably hate you for it some day, but boy, it's hilarious!
Katy ~ said…
Yummm...batter rolls. I haven't made them in a while, but they are such a nifty recipe, none of all that rising and shaping that is associated with the "other" rolls.

Chase, in spite of looking a little put out, is a sweet little guy with his favorite hat. Don't you just love how kids get attached to an object like that? Nothing like our cookbook affinity, I'm sure, grins.

LUV my cookbooks; I'm like you, I read and pour over them, memorizing every recipe, it seems. And then I go back and revisit them, and it's like discovering an old friend. I never lack for anything to do because I always have my cookbooks to keep me company and interested.
theUngourmet said…
I can see myself eating way too many of those rolls! Yum!

That is such a cute photo of your son. My son has a thing for hats too. He has quite a collection going. ;)
saw you on willouhby's side bar..and when i saw batter rolls..i knew this was for me...

me too...the cookbook queen....love them more than anything....

i'll be happy to follow you along the way..
you have a really cute blog....

i'll be back soon..

fondly,
kary
MaRiN said…
I made rolls very similar to this just the other day. There is nothing better than the smell of bread baking. Yours look tasty!