San Francisco Chops

After spotting this recipe on several different blogs and on Taste of Home, I decided it was past time to try it out! There are two versions of it. Number 1: stove top. Number 2: crockpot. I chose the crockpot option. I'm always looking for yummy time saving recipes (aren't you???). It was super easy and deeeeeelish although the meat had a slight overcooked-ness about it. Something I find common with crockpot recipes. The flavor of the sauce was still amazing, but next time I'm trying the skillet version. Here's both. You decide which you want to choose and share your results. Enjoy :)

SAN FRANCISCO CHOPS - CROCKPOT
4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine or chicken broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
Hot cooked rice

In a large skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in oil; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add garlic to drippings; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce, wine, brown sugar and pepper flakes; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over chops.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chops. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Return chops to slow cooker. Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice.

SAN FRANCISCO CHOPS- SKILLET
1 1/2 lbs pork chops
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons oil
1/4 cup beef broth or 1/4 cup sherry wine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet, and brown chops on both sides. Meanwhile, combine the 2 teaspoon oil, broth or sherry, brown sugar, soy sauce, red pepper, and black pepper. Add garlic to pork chops, and pour sauce mixture over everything. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, adding 1-2 Tablespoon of water if needed to keep sauce from cooking down too much. Turn chops once. Remove chops to platter. In pan, stir in cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoon of water. Cook until thickened. Pour over chops and serve.

Comments

Unknown said…
This sounds similar to a chicken dish I tried a couple of weeks ago. I usually love crock pot recipes, but I think it ruined the chicken dish. Thanks for the skillet version of this, I will definitely give it a try.
Deanne said…
Thanks for saying that about crockpot meats. I agree that I am never happy with them (especially bone in chicken, gag!) I have always felt like so much less of a cook because I won't do any "real" cooking in the crockpot. Dried beans, fresh green beans, apple sauce, apple butter. That's about it HAHA But I LOVE the crockpot for keeping things like mashed potatoes warm at Christmas and Thanksgiving. I wish I loved it for everything. I just don't.
Megan said…
I think this might be the recipe of the week in bloggy world!!! I am planning on making it tomorrow myself! I heard from someone else that the meat ended up overcooked too. I think I will be careful and maybe cut the cooking time down on them.
Meghan said…
Sister, I will be making this crockpot recipe this week.
YUM!
Megan said…
Well, I made these tonight in the crockpot. I LOOOOVED the sauce. I did cut the cooking time down on the pork chops. I think that any more than about 6 hours on low and they start to get overdone.
Jaime said…
This is a popular one!! I have a similar recipe on my blog as well. Good chops. I love my slow cooker because I can do other things besides cook all night. However, I agree that I haven't come across a good slow cooker chicken recipe yet.